For jazz and creative music-making to be accessible, relevant and welcoming for all.
NYJO’s mission is to share our love of jazz and improvised music widely. We do this by:
- Nurturing emerging professionals and younger musicians with high quality, accessible learning and performance opportunities.
- Valuing access, process and progress in everything we do; harnessing the power of musical participation as a tool for personal growth.
- Entertaining audiences with exciting, relevant jazz performances.
- Enabling young people to enjoy their creativity and realise their musical ambitions.
- Working collaboratively to bring jazz communities together, in both physical and digital spaces.
Individuality and diversity are important to us. We collaborate to make work that responds to and represents our communities.
We are inspired by the creativity and vision of our young musicians and want their voice to inform everything we do.
We recognise that in the past the arts have not welcomed all voices. We welcome people from all backgrounds and perspectives to take part in our work. Inclusion and access drive all that we do.
Our participants and colleagues bring mutual respect, curiosity and open-mindedness to all our activity.
Our values are shared by all at NYJO, from boardroom to band.